Game Date: September 29, 2006
Game Score: Royals 9, Tigers 7 / Box Score
WP: Greinke (1-0), LP: Walker (0-1), SV: Peralta (1)
Royal Home Runs: Brown (15), Phillips (1), Keppinger (2)
Royals Record: 60-100
Things didn't look good for the Royals early on yesterday. Curtis Granderson hit two home runs off of Runelvys Hernandez in the first three innings, and the Royals were down 5-3 after seven innings. David DeJesus made it 5-4 Detroit in the eighth with an RBI triple. And Shane Costa tied the game in the ninth with an RBI single.
In the bottom of the ninth, with Zack Greinke on the mound, Joey Gathright threw Brent Clevlen out at home when he tried to score after tagging up on fly ball to center field. After a scoreless tenth, the Royals erupted in the eleventh inning by hitting three home runs. Emil Brown led off the inning with a solo shot. Then Paul Phillips hit one. And with two outs in the inning, Jeff Keppinger hit a two-run home run to give the Royals a 9-5 lead. Good thing they scored so many runs because the Tigers scored two in the bottom of the eleventh.
A few nice things to note about the game:
- David DeJesus was 3-for-6 with a walk and an RBI.
- Esteban German was 2-for-6 with an RBI.
- Mike Sweeney was 3-for-5 with an RBI.
- Paul Phillips, hitting fifth (huh?), was 2-for-6 with his first home run of the season.
- John Buck was 2-for-6 and has his average up to .245.
- Joey Gathright was 3-for-6 and made the aforementioned good play to save the game in the bottom of the ninth.
- Jeff Keppinger was 2-for-5 with a home run and 2 RBI.
- Andrew Sisco went 1.2 innings without giving up a run.
- Zack Greinke pitched three innings, and while he was far from perfect, he didn't allow any runs.
- Joel Peralta picked up his first save of the season.
Tonight, Ambiorix Burgos (4-5, 5.60) will get the spot start, which will be his first start of the season. Zach Miner (7-5, 4.37) will get the start for the Tigers. Burgos has a 5.40 ERA against the Tigers this season in 13.1 innings. Miner is 0-1 with a 7.94 ERA against the Royals.