Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Tony Pena Resigns

Tony Pena resigned last night after the loss in Toronto. As likable as the guy was, he was a bad manager whose time had come and gone.

"I've been thinking about it for the last three weeks," Pena said. "It made me sick. I wasn't eating well or sleeping well because I thought so much about the way we played. I don't think we've played to the top of our ability."

Pena couldn't do anything about the poor batting averages, that's for sure. But if I saw one more sacrifice bunt in the second inning, well…I just couldn't take it anymore. You'd think that he was just desperate for runs and that's why he played small ball so early in games, but he was always an unconventional manager who made decisions that just didn't make sense.

During his first season, I was at a game when he decided to put Lee Stephens on base and pitch to Ellis Burks with the game on the line. The only thing left in doubt was which water fountain the ball would land in. For the record, it landed in the left field fountain.

His optimism seemed odd after the team went in the tank last year. The pasted on smile, the shower dances, the crazy predictions, the "believe" slogan, and on and on. I'm all for positive reinforcement, but not when it is detached from reality.

Baird is reportedly considering hiring Frank White as the next manager. And Larry Bowa wants to be considered. Even George Brett's name is being mentioned already. Brett doesn't appear to be interested and Frank White has expressed interest repeatedly. Baird obviously has confidence in White since he sends all of his young talent to Wichita rather than Omaha and he even sends guys like Berroa to White when they are struggling.

Frank White knows baseball. He understands youth movements. And he can bring something to the club that other prospective managers (except Brett) couldn't—a sense of what it was like to play for the Royals when they were champions. History is a good thing to have on one's side, and Frank White definitely has history.

We'll see what happens. Mark me down for favoring Frank White. For now, bench coach Bob Schaefer will manage the club.

This should make for an interesting visit to the Royals clubhouse tomorrow and Friday. I leave early in the morning to interview several players and I'll be interested to see what the atmosphere is like. I probably won't be posting anything here until after the game tomorrow night.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics