Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Favorite Royal Memories

Several months ago a Sports Illustrated reporter conducted an email interview with me about the Royals. She asked me about the traditions of Royals baseball, about the best food at Kauffman Stadium, why Kauffman Stadium is unique, and she asked me about some of the most memorable games I've ever seen. I don't know if the article ever ran or not, but I thought it might be kind of fun to share my answers with you regarding my favorite Royal memories. Here was one of them: 

On July 6, 1991, I was in Kauffman Stadium (called Royals Stadium then) when the Royals were playing the Oakland A's. The place was packed (39,000+). Danny Tartabull hit a couple of home runs early in the game. I turned to a friend who was sitting next to me and said, "What do you think the chances are of him hitting another one?"

"I'll walk home if he does it," he said.

Since we both lived in Omaha, about 200 miles away, that was an interesting statement to make. He groaned when Tartabull crushed his third home run of the day, the only Royal to ever do so. If my memory serves me correctly, Tartabull was in the on deck circle when the Royals made their final out. For the record, I didn't make my friend walk. Just having the memory was enough.

I did a little searching and found this link that shows the final score that day. Even though Tartabull hit three home runs, the Royals still lost 9-7. According to that same website, here is a list of the regular Royal position players in 1991:

Position Player
1B Todd Benzinger
2B Terry Shumpert
SS Kurt Stillwell
3B Bill Pecota
OF Brian McRae
OF Danny Tartabull
OF Jim Eisenreich
C Brent Mayne
DH George Brett

Interested in seeing a list of the primary pitching staff from 1991?

Position Player
SP Kevin Appier
SP Mike Boddicker
SP Bret Saberhagen
SP Mark Gubicza
RP Storm Davis
RP Mike Magnante
RP Steve Crawford
RP Tom Gordon
CL Jeff Montgomery

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your blog, thanks!

Lee Warren said...

Thanks Rick. I'm glad you are here.

jgsteeler said...

I loved Eisenreich! The only guy I don't really remember very well from that lineup is Benzinger.

Good Story!

 
Clicky Web Analytics