Saturday, June 04, 2005

Enjoying the Moment

Baseball ought never be hurried. It is the only unhurried institution we have left, which is one reason, I think, we love it. -- James Kilpatrick

I just started writing a sports inspirational book that is due to my publisher on five weeks, so if I miss a day or two of posting, that's why. But I ran into this James Kilpatrick quote during my research and I think a modified version of it applies to this winning streak the Royals have put together.

In the big picture, the Royals are nowhere close to turning this season around. They are still nine and a half games behind the fourth place Indians. But so what? Let's not hurry beyond the four game winning streak before we enjoy it. Baseball is a game of numbers, and more specifically, wins and loses.

But it's more than that.

It's enjoying four game winning streaks in an otherwise dismal season. It's watching guys like Emil Brown turn on a Randy Johnson pitch and hammer it into the left field waterfall. It's watching a 21 year-old Leo Nunez come into the game and contribute to the streak. It's about enjoying the individual moments that make up the streak.

So, as you head to the ballpark today, or flip on the radio to listen to the game, enjoy all the moments that make baseball such a great game.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics