Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Greinke Sharp Against the Tribe

Zack Greinke threw a gem last night as the Royals defeated the Indians 4-0. Greinke pitched 7 shut out innings and only gave up four singles, to improve to 3-11 with a 5.66 ERA. In true Greinke-like fashion, he said some of the oddest things after winning his second straight start.

"I've just been using my best stuff," he said. "That's the main difference. Not worrying about if I miss, will it go way up and in or into the ground. And not worrying about getting tired after three innings."

At 21 years of age, he's been holding back during games because he's afraid of getting tired after three innings? I'm having a difficult time understanding this one. But it gets better.

"I was able to (pace myself) my whole life," he said. "It was to the point where I’d feel fresh the next day. But today was the first time I’ve used my good stuff (all along) and felt good that late in the game."

Why would it matter if he felt fresh the next day? Isn't that what five man rotations are all about—giving a guy four days rest after each start? This guy doesn't march to the beat of a different drummer. He is the drummer and he plays any tune he wants to without regard for the rest of the band. We expected a learning curve with all of these young guys, so I guess Greinke's words are encouraging to hear, since he says that he's learned something, but they are still odd.

Emil Brown came up big with a two-run home run in the second inning and that's all the Royals needed in this one. DeJesus and Teahen each had an RBI each later in the game.

Jose Lima (2-8, 7.16) gets the ball again tonight against C.C. (I-think-I-look-cool-with-my-hat-tilted-sideways) Sabathia (6-6, 4.63).

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics