Monday, April 16, 2007

Royals Lose Fifth in a Row

Game Date: April 16, 2007
Tigers 12, Royals 5 / Box Score
WP: Verlander (1-0) LP: Greinke (1-2) 
Royal Home Runs: Shealy (1)
Royals Record: 3-10

I missed the first few innings of this one. I met my mom for dinner and when I came out of the restaurant I flipped the radio on. The first thing I heard about was Jason LaRue taking a ground ball off the chest. I'm thinking, okay, the Royals are down 21-2 in the second inning and Buddy Bell has given the ball to Jason LaRue to burn a couple of innings.

Nope.

He was playing third. What in the world? Then I hear that Alex Gordon is playing shortstop and Tony Pena is playing second.

Okay, I know. I'm not really driving. I'm actually having a nightmare--one that involves Tona Pena Sr. still managing the Royals.

Nope.

Finally I find out that Esteban German left the game with an injury and Bell was forced to change the defense around. I'm not sure why he didn't move Gordon to second and leave Pena at short so that we would have only had two guys out of position instead of three, but when you're down 8-2 after three innings, does it really matter?

Pudge Rodriguez's first inning grand slam pretty much did in the Royals as Zack Greinke didn't even make it out of the first inning. That's three games in a row in which our staff has given up a grand slam. That has to be some sort of record, doesn't it? 

And how about the lack of production by Royals hitters at the plate? We had six guys in the line up yesterday who are hitting less that .180. John Buck on the other hand is on fire, going 2-for-3 with an RBI and a walk to raise his average to .429. I'm thinking it's about time he moved up in the order, even if it is temporary.

Tomorrow, Jorge De La Rosa (1-1, 3.55) goes against Mike Maroth (2-0, 4.91). De La Rosa is 1-0 with a 1.29 ERA in his career against the Tigers. Maroth is 10-8 with a 4.29 ERA against the Royals.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics