Monday, December 10, 2007

Hillman's 2008 Lineup Card

Trey Hillman is talking about how he might fill out his lineup card when the 2008 season rolls around. Here's what he's thinking right now:

DeJesus CF
Grudzielanek 2B
Teahen LF
Guillen RF
Butler DH
Gload 1B
Gordon 3B
Buck C
Pena SS

This lineup still doesn't have enough power. And it still doesn't have enough speed, but I can see things I like. 

First, Jose Guillen, assuming he doesn't get himself into more trouble, should produce numbers similar to a healthy Mike Sweeney. That's a big plus, given that Sweeney hasn't been healthy in many seasons. I like Butler hitting fifth rather than clean up, like he probably would have been hitting if Moore hadn't added Guillen. And I like Gordon hitting seventh--not nearly as much pressure there.

I also like something that Moore said recently about the lineup: "We have some versatility on our roster. But we do want to create an environment where there is more of an everyday lineup than we had last year."

An everyday lineup would be nice to see and it would give some of our young guys, like Teahen, Butler, and Gordon, and chance to settle in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

An everyday lineup...wow...what's that!!! Must be something equivalent to rocket science.
I agree, not enough power. Shealy's contribution in that department I feel is crucial. I would much rather see him at first and use Sweeney and Gload PH.
I can't believe some possible lineups I have seen where Grudz is not batting second. He's one of the BEST #2's in the biz.
I'm nervous with Teahen batting 3rd. Would like to see the 2006 Teahen batting 3rd rather than the 2007. Eventually, would like to see Gordon and Teahen flip flop in the order. I accept low offensive output from Teahen due to learning a brand new position. With the addition of Guillen, I hope they leave Teahen in right field.
Buck, by not being subject to catcher-by-committee, should get more AB's and should hit 25+ homers this year. Coach Trey likes his power potential at the bottom of the order and so do I.

 
Clicky Web Analytics