Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Grudzielanek Plans to Decline Royals Offer

Sadly, Mark Grudzielanek’s days in Royal blue have probably come to an end. He says that he’s 95-98% sure that he’ll decline the Royals offer of arbitration. He has until Sunday to make his final decision. His reason for declining the offer?

“I’ve played the game a long time and made a lot of money.” Grudzielanek said. “It’s part of it, but I’m at the point in my career where it’s time to be in it in September and make a run at it. I’ve been with teams like that, and that’s what it’s all about. I’d like to go out like that.”

The clear inference from Grudzielanek is that he doesn’t believe the Royals are going to be playoff contenders with the chance to make a run at the World Series in 2009. I don’t think anybody believes the Royals are going to be World Series contenders in 2009. But for two years, we’ve been talking about 2009 and 2010 as the years that we expect to see the team gel.

The likes of Billy Butler, Alex Gordon, Mark Teahen, and Zack Greinke are supposed to be settling in by then and producing at a high level. Only Greinke has done so thus far.

But I digress.

Grudzielanek has been nothing but a class act during his three seasons in Kansas City. He’s played hard, he’s played hurt, he’s won a Gold Glove, he’s hit for average, he’s been a presence in the clubhouse, and maybe most importantly he’s taught young guys how to play the game. I wish Grud well in finding a new team and I really hope he gets his shot at the postseason.

1 comment:

number9 said...

May Grudz eat his words. KC Royals will be in the playoffs in 2009. May he be at home next October drinking a beer in front of the TV wishing he'd stayed put.

 
Clicky Web Analytics