Sunday, May 16, 2004

A fun one to watch

A's 3 Royals 1
W-Mulder (4-2), L-May (1-5)
Royals Season Record: 11-23

This was baseball the way it is supposed to be played. Fantastic pitching, good defense and some good offense. As I left the game tonight, I didn't feel bitter about this loss. I felt like I watched a game that way it was supposed to be played.

It wasn't full of inflated offense or strikes zones so small that a pitcher couldn't possibly hit it. I thought the strike zone tonight was a bit generous, but I'd rather have that than watch 12-10 games every night.

Mulder only gave up four hits and he changed speeds so well that Royal hitters seemed to have no idea what he was going to throw next. At one point, Mulder threw a 73 mph change to Sweeney followed by a 93 mph fast ball over the inside corner. Good luck hitting a guy who has the ability to do that.

To his credit, May pitched brilliantly. He gave up a two run shot to Chavez, but the pitch was down and away—not even in the strike zone, but Chavez went down and got it and knocked it out.

Both starting pitchers went the distance. When was the last time you witnessed that? I don't think I ever have.
As usual, I questioned Pena's choice of personnel. He gave Adrian Brown (up from Omaha) the start in left field. Brown had no business stepping up to the plate. He was overmatched and confused. Pena left him in late in the game, instead of bringing in Guiel or Stairs. Yes, Guiel and Starts are both lefties and would have a tough time with Mulder, but they've got a better chance of getting a hit than Brown. I can't wait to see what B-level line up Pena puts on the field tomorrow.

Tomorrow we've got Anderson (1-4, 7.15 ERA) going against Zito (2-3, 6.00 ERA). Both pitchers are pitching poorly right now. Let's hope that Anderson was watching the game tonight and comes out throwing strikes down in the zone.

Go blue.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics