Friday, July 27, 2007

Dotel Wants to Stay in KC

It seems that Octavio Dotel has fallen in love with Kansas City. So much so that he wants to remain in Royal blue rather than be traded to a playoff contender.

“I like it here,” Dotel is quoted as saying in the KC Star today, “because we can win here. I like how I see this club is trying to put together a group of players that can win in the future. I want to be part of that. I want to be in that group.

“You’ve got to be patient. You can’t expect everything from these players right away. It takes time, but it’s like we’re building a house. And after we have the house, I’m telling you, we’re going to have a party.”

Dotel wants a multi-year contract, somewhere in the neighborhood of $20 million for three years. The Royals can certainly afford that type of contract and it might make sense if it allowed Joakim Soria to join the rotation next season.

But Dotel is 33 years old and I can't help but wonder if we shouldn't sell high. The problem with that is, most teams don't seem all that willing to give up anything in return. And if that's the case, I'd rather hold on to Dotel because it might just allow us to strengthen our rotation as well as give us a solid closer--assuming he can stay healthy.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics