Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The Season in Review

Before the season started, I predicted that the Royals would win 74 games. I had every reason to believe that they were on the right road. I looked down the line and saw Billy Butler, Luke Hochevar, Billy Buckner, and many others waiting for their call to the big leagues. I felt the hope that we all felt when Alex Gordon made the club out of Spring Training. I expected Mark Teahen to continue to build upon the success of his 2006 season. I expected Ryan Shealy to make his presence felt. And I expected Gil Meche to be the anchor of the rotation.

I knew that the extended losing streaks would probably continue. I just had hopes that they wouldn't reach monumental proportions as they have in the past couple of seasons. I knew that our rotation was far from adequate. I knew that we had a couple of guys who don't hustle. And I knew we have several injury prone guys on our roster. But I still figured that if the Royals could catch a break or two, then they'd crack the 70-win mark for the first time since 2003.

Going into September, that looked like a certainty. Most of the summer they played at a 74-win pace, and for several months they were above .500, but the wheels came off in September, during which there were a pitiful 9-19, and they finished the season with a 69-93 record. I understand that Buddy Bell was retiring, and that guys wanted to finish the season, and that we sometimes had guys playing out of position. But to not win 70 games after making such great strides all season is a major disappointment.

Mark Teahen suddenly lost his power. Alex Gordon had a disappointing season. Tony Pena swung at nearly everything, drawing just ten walks for the season, while striking out 78 times. David DeJesus hit just .260. Emil Brown, who didn't play nearly as much this season as the previous two, led the club in RBI with just 62. That's pathetic. Esteban German hit sixty-two points lower this season than he did last season. John Buck showed more pop than in the past, but he finished the season with a .222 batting average. Ryan Shealy was awful. He hit just .221 with 3 HR and 21 RBI in 52 games and was constantly injured.

The season certainly had some bright spots though. Joakim Soria was beyond outstanding. In fact, our bullpen was the best I've ever seen in Kansas City. David Riske, Joel Peralta, and Jimmy Gobble kept hitters off balance all year. Billy Butler proved that he can hit pitching at any level. Joey Gathright proved that he belongs in the major leagues. Ross Gload had a decent season, especially since few people expected him to get more than 300 at bats. Brian Bannister was dominant at times and had one of the best seasons we've seen in many years from a Royals' starter. Arguably, Gil Meche was equal to the task, but had less run support than Bannister did. Zack Greinke appears to have turned a corner and should settle in nicely as the number three starter next season.

So, where does that leave us for 2008? Who knows. We'll have a new manager, presumably an extra bat or two in the line up since we have a lot of cash available, another starter or two, and the hope that all of the young talent will finally blossom at the same time to make the Royals a contender in the AL Central. And you know what? I'll hope right along with you that all of this happens. I've just learned to temper my hope with reality. Dayton Moore has made many great personnel decisions already and I suspect that he'll continue to do so. So let's sit back and wait to see what he does this offseason and then let's cheer the boys in blue as they begin the 2008 season.

Thanks for sticking with me for the entire season. Stop back during the offseason for commentary about the moves the Royals make.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics