Sunday, February 10, 2008

Royals Sign Maroth

You've seen by now that the Royals signed left-handed starter Mike Maroth to a one-year minor league contract and invited him to spring training as a non-roster player. The Royals didn't take much of a risk in signing him to a minor league deal and I like the fact that they didn't give him a roster spot.

So, now we'll see how he performs. The rotation could certainly use a lefty. And his 50-67 career record with a 5.05 ERA seems tailor-made for the number five spot, but he's up against a lot of competition. He was awful last year with the Cardinals. He had a 10.66 ERA in 14 games. If he doesn't make the major league roster with the Royals, Dayton Moore says he'll go to Omaha.

I had a chance to interview Maroth last April in Kansas City for a news service I write for sometimes. Maroth was still with the Tigers then and it was the first week of the season. He had an intensity to him that I liked. I'll be rooting for him as camp opens, but I won't be overly optimistic that he'll make the roster.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics