Thursday, May 18, 2006

Apes Getting Closer

Kevin Appier is getting closer to pitching at the big league level for the Mariners. He's put up decent numbers in Tacoma (1-2, 3.00 ERA, 20 K, in 27.0 IP) and the Mariners are in desperate need of pitching. The whispers have begun that he'll be with the big league team soon and you've got to feel good for the guy. He's 38 and has all the money he'll ever need, but he loves the game of baseball and since he can still perform at a high level, he doesn't want to quit. So he hasn't.

"One of two things has to happen for me not to play," Appier is quoted as saying recently in an article in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. "One, I physically can't play. Two, I don't want to play anymore. Well, I want to play, and it seems like physically I can play. The passion is still there, and I don't feel finished yet, so here I am."

He's thought to be a good fit for long relief in Seattle, but he's worked his way into the rotation in Tacoma. And while his velocity is said to be good, he's also throwing a variety of pitches, including a two-seamer, a slider, a curve, a split-finger, and a cutter to get guys out.

RR will keep you up to date on his progress. Go Apes!

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics