Saturday, June 10, 2006

Bell Speaks About Moore

I was in the dugout before the game against the Rangers on Thursday (just a few hours after the Dayton Moore press conference). Reporters asked Bell about his private meeting with Moore, about Moore’s plans for for the team, and a few other miscellaneous topics.

Here’s a little of what he said:

Did Moore lay out his plans or did he get specific?

“No. The one interesting thing is that he doesn’t have a two-year plan. He’s just trying to get the best players as quick as possible.”

Who did you send down?

“Bautista. The reason we did Bautista is just because he wasn’t going to get the kind of innings he needed to out of the bull pen. And we still want to get him in the rotation at some time…so we sent him down to be in the rotation in Omaha. Hopefully, he’ll straighten himself out.”

Is his problem still mechanics?

“Yeah. Absolutely. Just being able to repeat it. Certain situations dictate whether he can stay in his mechanics, so we’re hoping that it is what it is—that he can understand the situation he’s in and slow down and stay in his delivery.”

What are you expecting from Kyle Snyder?

“We’ve been told he was throwing the best down there. It’s nice to see Kyle back. He’s a loyal Royal and it’s nice to see him back up here.”

What are your thoughts about Zack’s most recent start?

“It was pretty good. It was better than the previous one. I think he was 88 to 95–-something like that. He used all his pitches. Better command. They hit a home run off him when he kind of got out of his delivery for a hitter or two, but he was able to regain it. All in all it was pretty good.”

Any idea when he’ll be back?

“No. We discuss it after every start, but we just want to slow it down. We don’t want this situation up here to dictate when he’s going to come back. That’s the thing we’ve got to be careful of.”

Did you and Moore discuss “how bad it is” here right now?

“No. When Dayton and I talked I told him that there’s certain things that we need. I think most of our players belong in the big leagues. It’s just a matter of the situation. A few players here and there would obviously help make all these other guys better. I believe it’s not as bleak. I mean, we’ve got some young players that obviously have to get better, but I have a lot of confidence in their ability to get better—Burgos, Sisco, Gobble, Wood, I could go on and on, Keppel, and Teahen, DeJesus, Berroa—so, there’s some pieces there, and obviously they have to get better, but I’m sure there’s going to be a few changes. I’m sure he has some ideas. This is a tough situation for him to get into. I came in the middle of the season last year and that was tough enough, but I can’t imagine what he has to go through in terms of putting an organization together.”

Did you talk about your job status?

“No.”

Are you worried about whether your going to be here to see it all?

“No. No. No. I want to be here. It’s where I want to be so I don’t really think about that much.”

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics