Sunday, June 18, 2006

For the Record

In no way do I think that Jason Whitlock was referring to Royal Reflections in his article in the KC Star yesterday (about the media credential controversy) that included this comment: "Moss and Fescoe are not fans who built a Web site and are tickled pink that a pro sports franchise gave them access to a locker room and athletes they idolize."

I think he was probably just speaking in the abstract to make a point in defense of the two reporters. But since Royal Reflections came up in conversation (regarding Whitlock's column) over at the Scout.com message boards, I thought I'd take a minute to explain a couple of things about who I am and what I do. I don't usually take a lot of space on this blog to tell you about who I am personally because this blog is about the Royals, not me.

As you know by now, the Royals don't credential bloggers (neither do any of the other major league baseball teams the last I checked). But on occasion I do get credentialed—usually about one series per season, to interview players on the Royals and the visiting team for magazines that I work for. I always go into the clubhouse as a journalist (not a fan, or a blogger)—looking for the interviews that my editor(s) has asked me to obtain. If I have material left over, or if a big news story about the Royals breaks while I'm in the clubhouse, then I write posts about it here.

I write mostly for Christian publications, although not always. I'm a baseball columnist for a magazine in Omaha, Nebraska called The Northwest Corner. I'm the sports columnist for a Christian newspaper in Omaha called The Heartland Gatekeeper. I've written for national Christian sports magazines such as Sports Spectrum magazine and Sharing the VICTORY. I've written for numerous regional newspapers, including The Pathway in Jefferson City, Missouri. I've written for magazines such as Breakaway (a Christian magazine for boys 12-17 years of age), Light & Life, and others. I have about 275 writing credits in well over a dozen publications.

Here are a few links to sports stories I've done over the years…

Blue-Collar Royal has priorities in order (Joe Randa)
Albert Pujols Knows What's Important
Home Field Advantage (about Ron Brown)

In addition to writing about sports, I've also interviewed politicians, community leaders, and people with fascinating stories about life. Those articles have also appeared in many different publications across the country.

I've also written four books about various different topics (all of which are written for a Christian audience). One of which has been released, the other three are in the process of being released.

So, hopefully that gives you a bit of an idea about who I am as a writer. And it'll give you a good idea about where I'm coming from when I do indeed have media credentials at Kauffman Stadium.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics