Thursday, June 08, 2006

Sweeney on Grimsley

I was in the clubhouse yesterday when Mike Sweeney was asked about the Jason Grimsley story. Here are some of his remarks:

"I don't know what Jason did when we were not at the baseball field or when we were not working out together, but I love the guy and I'm going to support him."

Were you surprised by the story?

"Yeah, absolutely. I think everyone in our clubhouse is surprised. There are only probably a few guys in here that actually played with Jason when he was here, and I'm privileged to say I was one of them. He's been a great teammate. He's been a great friend. And I love him and his family dearly. He's obviously going through a tough time right now and the last thing he needs is to have his friends tear him down right now rather than build him up. That's what he needs."

Were you aware of, while he was here, of anybody on the team taking steroids or any sort of performance-enhancing drugs?

"The story is about Jason and to my knowledge I knew nothing about Jason or anyone he hung with doing steroids or human growth hormone. I was shocked. I really was shocked and I just want to support Jason through this because it's obviously a very tough time for him. "

How do you feel about the fact that he named names?

"I spoke with Jason today and he said a lot of the stuff that's going to come out is not necessarily the truth. I've been around long enough to where I know that sometimes the media twists things. And Jason is my friend and I don't know who the people are that wrote these things about him or what he said, but I'm going to side on the side of my friend."

But what about the affidavit?

"I have not read that. And until it comes out as fact—like that Jason says to me that this is something I said, then I'm going to believe him. He's my friend."

Did you and Jason get in touch with each other because of this?

"Yeah, well, Jason and I, we talk all the time. We're good friends. Unfortunately, when I got home from the game last night I needed to talk to him about what I saw on the ticker…I love the guy. I can't say it enough. He's a great friend. He's one of the best teammates that I've ever had here in Kansas City. He took the ball every single night whether he was hurt or feeling great and until I see facts, he's my friend, I'm going to support the guy."

Does he live here in town?

"Jason, his wife, and his three kids, they live in town. I think a lot of times people lose sight of the fact that he is a human being and we've all made mistakes. I don't think it's right to crucify a man. He has a wife that loves him. He has three kids that adore him and look up to him. Rather than tear the guy down, it's our duty to build him up and be with him."

He was a team leader and the player's rep, does this make it more shocking?

"Well, it's just surprising because he's my friend and I love the guy. I just hope that this can get resolved and I just hope the best for him and his family because your family comes before the game of baseball and I just hope that something like this does not tear him and his family apart because that's much more important than the game."

Can you give us a perspective about what really goes on in a clubhouse (regarding steroids)?

"Sure. All I can do is speak for myself. I'm proud—I'd place my hand on the Bible or on my children and say I've never used a greenie, I've never used steroids, never used growth hormone, never done anything that would give me an edge. And I'm proud to say that. As far as my teammates go, if I ever had any knowledge of them, I love them, I would never sell them out publicly. To my knowledge, I know I've never done anything and I love Jason Grimsley and I want to support him through this."

2 comments:

Minda said...

I just stumbled upon your blog tonight, and I'm enjoying it immensely. Always good to find a good Royals blog! Anyway, reading this interview really brought back some of the hurt I felt when the Grimsley story broke. I was shocked to hear that someone who worked so hard every single time he was called for, could cheat like that. Even though he was no longer a Royal when this story came out, it hurt. Am I the only one who feels that way?

~Minda of http://minda33.blogspot.com (chiefly a baseball blog, but with some other stuff as well)

Lee Warren said...

Thanks for visiting Minda. I don't think you are the only one who was hurt by the Grimsley story. He was well respected by his teammates and fans saw him as a hard worker. This story harmed his reputation.

 
Clicky Web Analytics