Friday, January 30, 2009

Sweeney Signs with Mariners

The Seattle Mariners have signed Mike Sweeney to a Minor League contract and invited him to Spring Training as a non-roster player. Sweeney had this to say at the press conference:

“I’m going to go to camp, put my head down and leave everything I can on the field,” Sweeney said. “If things don’t work out, and I don’t make that trip to Minnesota [for Opening Day], I’ll probably just sail off into the sunset to San Diego with my wife and three kids, be thankful for the opportunity, and look into the next chapter of my life.”

It would be just as hard to see him in a Mariners uniform as it was to see him in an A’s uniform last season, but I’m hoping that makes the team and has a good season. I’d like to see his career come to an end on his own terms.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics