Saturday, June 27, 2009

Meche Lacks Command, Loses His Seventh

Game Date: June 26, 2009
Kansas City @ Pittsburgh
Pirates 5, Royals 3 / Box Score
WP: Vasquez (1-0), LP: Meche (4-7), SV: Capps (17)
KC Home Runs: Teahen (9)
Royals Record: 31-41 / Record in June 8-14

I only caught bits and pieces of this game, but it seemed like every time I looked up, somebody for the Pirates was launching a home run. I’m not too concerned about solo shots. I’d rather see a pitcher going after a guy and giving up a long ball every once in a while instead of seeing him nibbling and ultimately walking guys before giving up the home run. Two of the Pirates’ home runs were solo shots. One was a two-run shot.

Gil Meche gave up the two-run shot and a solo shot. My bigger concern was his lack of command. Here’s what he said afterward:

“I hadn’t felt real smooth out there, obviously. Tonight was terrible. Just didn’t feel great, didn't have good arm speed, couldn’t locate—pretty much the same story as the last start.”

I can’t speak much about the offense since I missed so much of the game. I could mention the base-running debacle in the second inning, but unfortunately we’re used to that by now, even though such things still grate on my nerves.

Tonight, Bruce Chen will make his debut with the Royals. He hasn’t pitched in the big leagues since 2006. He’ll go up against Paul Maholm (4-4, 4.48). Chen is 1-3 in his career against the Pirates with a 4.15 ERA in 30.1 IP. Maholm is 0-1 against the Royals with a 12.45 ERA in 4.1 IP.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics