Saturday, March 24, 2007

SI on Alex Gordon

If you haven’t had a chance to read the profile article about Alex Gordon currently running on Sports Illustrated’s website, here’s a link. I especially liked the part that explained George Brett’s offer to pay the remaining $200,000 out of his own pocket after the Royals and Gordon came that close to an agreement in 2005. Here’s part of Brett’s quote:

“I’ll write you a check for the difference, out of my own pocket. But instead of up front, I’ll give you 10 grand for 20 years. I’ll do that for you, just because I want to watch you play.”

Of course, Brett didn’t end up having to do that, but think about that for a minute. The greatest Royal to ever put on the uniform was willing to pay $10,000 a year to watch somebody else play baseball. Granted, Brett works for the Royals, so he’s biased, but still. How impressive is that?

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics