Friday, August 17, 2007

Royals Sign Moustakas

You've heard by now that the Royals signed their first round draft pick, Mike Moustakas yesterday. He'll get a $4 million signing bonus, but he will not get a spot on the 40-man roster, and I'm glad to hear that. I can't understand why any team would agree to place a draftee on the 40-man roster before he proves that he can hit minor league pitching. 

According to an article on the Royals website, Scott Boras is saying that Moustakas is "the best power-hitting high school middle infielder since Alex Rodriguez." What in the world do you say about a comment like that? If that's true, how about we add a clause to Moustakas' contract that guarantees 25+ home runs per season for the next 15 seasons? I know that's a ridiculous statement to make, but no more so than Boras' statement.

I eventually get pumped up and support our high draft picks, but it takes me a while. I know that this is a business, but the arrogance of some of these players and agents is a little more than I can stomach sometimes.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics