Thursday, March 13, 2008

ST Game #14

Game Date: March 12, 2008
Royals 6, Angels 3 / Box Score
Royals Spring Training Record: 8-6

Miguel Olivo hit his first home run of the spring in this game--a two-run shot and Ross Gload hit his second home run of the spring, which I'm sure caught the attention of Trey Hillman who is already toying with the idea of making Gload the starting first baseman in place of Ryan Shealy. The USA Today is saying that at the very least, Gload "figures to play against most or all right-handers initially."

The story of this game though, at least in my mind, was the way Luke Hochevar responded after giving up two runs in the first inning. But he was able to pitch out of trouble after that and he didn't give up any more runs. Here's what he said after the game: "You don't want to give up two runs and three hits in the first inning, but I'm pleased that I made that adjustment and got through it and I competed. One thing I hang my hat on is that I'm never going to be out-competed or outfought."

Kyle Davies continues to pitch well. He gave up one earned run on two hits and one walk in three innings. Yasuhiko Yabuta finally settled down and tossed a scoreless inning, striking out two. And Ryan Braun threw a scoreless inning.

This afternoon, Jorge De La Rosa will go against Joe Saunders of the Angels in Surprise. The Royals also plan to use Brian Lawrence, Mike Maroth, and Joel Peralta in the game.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics