Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Game 44: Kansas City @ Boston

Game Date: May 19, 2008
Red Sox 7, Royals 0 / Box Score
WP: Lester (3-2), LP: Hochevar (3-3)
Royal Home Runs: None
Royals Record: 21-23

The last time it happened, I was six years old. And frankly, I don't even remember it. That's probably a good thing. But being no-hit by Nolan Ryan was close to a norm. The guy did it seven times; so the time he did it against the Royals sort of blends in with all the others.

Enter Jon Lester--the feel good story of last season; the 24-year-old cancer survivor who found himself pitching in the World Series. He mowed down the Royals last night and became the second player to toss a no-no against the Royals. And it's hard to be upset about it because of all that the guy has been through. I didn't jump for joy, but I also wasn't upset.

I waited to write this post because I wanted to see what others around MLB might be saying about the Royals. I fully expected several, "Yeah, but it was the Royals" comments. I haven't turned on Sports Center or Baseball Tonight, so such comments may have been made there, I don't know. But this morning I started by checking out 18-20 Red Sox blogs and found nothing that demeaned the Royals. I even found this:

There are some who would make mention of the fact that his opponent was the Kansas City Royals. Sure, but this devalues both the Royals and the accomplishment, and in needless ways. --Over the Monster

Of course, forums are a different story. Here's what one Red Sox fan said:

Jon Lester was great, but it was the Royals.

But enough about that.

Do you get the feeling that this series could be the turning point in the Royals season? I do. Especially after last night. If the Royals get swept out of town they will be five games under .500, and while it won't be the first time this year, I can't help but wonder if it might be the breaking point. I have nothing to base this on other than a gut feeling. I just hope I'm wrong. While I'm talking about hope, I also hope that I don't get to find out.

Gil Meche (3-5, 5.98) gets to have a say. He'll go up against Justin Masterson (0-0, 1.50). Meche is 4-1 in his career against the Red Sox with a 3.86 ERA in 46.2 IP. Masterson has never faced the Royals.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics